Tuesday, October 4, 2011

glenn check's in



greetings

    My name is Glenn Schaefer.  Believe it or not I've been sort of associated with the Tamlinmediaco from the beginning, almost. I started the web page, back on LIII.com ( now defunct) but what happened is one day I come into the office, hungover,and ALF says to me.
   "Glenn, how'd you like to be rich?"
       Being as that was the purpose of everything I was doing at the time he knew I'd  be interested.
        "Sure" I said.

          Back in those days, in the late nineties, everybody was dreaming of being rich. It was like a birthright. Plus there was a lot of people who had actually not been beneficiaries of the great Reagan Revolution and they was still waiting on getting their piece of the pie. That was a little  secret y'know. The myth was that the internet was populated by comp sci majors from Stanford, but while they may have gotten the publicity, a whole lot of the actual people were middle aged chaps seeking to have their own business - an thereby be free of the bossman and also, by the way become rich.

           Ah, Sweet dreams! So, anyway, ALF offers me a deal. He'd give me  fifteen thousand dollars, cash in hand, for the web site and as a sweetener he offers me another website, which was a sure fire thing -Schnauzer com, which was to be a web site dedicated to the care and feeding and hopes and aspirations of Miniature Schnauzers and their owners. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But you know, the big boys were already there. They weren't going to let no small fry into the picture.

            So's I kept running into problems after that. I drank up the fifteen grand before I knew it and soon found myself at a low point in my life. Eventually though I got into rehab, moved to Yonkers and got a job in an automobile parts store, where I got a one room apartment over the store and started writing science fiction stories.  They didn't sell too good, but in 2004 I wrote a book called "The ART of the Lie" and it became an international best seller. Since nobody ever heard of me and since people respect titles and authority I put it out under different names and titles, usually I claimed to be the CEO of some company that I turned around and made a million or two dollars with. People ate that crap up. I tole them the usual lies, all you need is confidence, optimism, dedication and that old shibboleth, the ability to network.

            Maybe you have read one of my books, they are all the same book actually, just with different titles but with the same basic concept. Believe in yourself! Be honest!  I'm honest - at least I'm honest about being a lier and that's something ain't it?  As ALF explained to me one time the main thing is keeping straight in your own head what you are doing. When the gangster starts to believe that he's actually a legitimate businessman there's trouble ahead. Or when a politician begins to believe that the expeditious rhetorical nonsense he spouts is also true then theres going to be problems as well. Then the rhetoric becomes a religion, based on faith and not fact and as we know one mans religion is another man's psychosis.
 
      Well, my time is up for today. Always leave 'em wanting more is the rule. I'd like to tell you about my father's surrogate father back in Amityville, a man who was originally a cowboy and wound up writing for the newspapers on a daily basis and then died in a plane crash - namely Will Rogers, but there;s not enough room on the web, so we'll have to put that off to some future date when things get better.

 Glenn Schaefer

No comments:

Post a Comment